Here's how it goes:
I list quotes from some movies I really like, though I'll leave out the obvious quotables. The Princess Bride, for instance.
You leave a comment if you know the movie that a quote comes from. You only answer one even if you know more than one because you are polite and not a know-it-all answerhog. Unless a couple of days have gone by and nobody's gotten one and you know it but you already answered something else. Then by all means, answer away,
You will not be a cheaterpants Google checker.
I will, as I am able, post correct answers with the quotes so you'll know they've already been answered.
1. *Quote from the title. Lisa knows that the man wanting more fish gifts is President Andrew Shepherd in Aaron Sorkin's brilliantly quotable The American President.
2. "You know as well as I do, this necklace is imitation." "Well, I'm not." Bonus Quotes: "Sorry I ever sent her to finishing school. I think they finished her there." and "Why did I take up stealing? To live better, to own things I couldn't afford, to acquire this good taste that you now enjoy and that I should be very reluctant to give up." "Then you are frankly dishonest?" "I try to be."
3. "There's a war on. How is it that you're headed west?" "Well, we just face north and then, real subtle-like, turn left." Last of the Mohicans, as my brother Dan observes, is chock full of excellent quotes.
4. "I'm gonna make her smile. I'M GONNA MAKE YOU SMILE." Bonus Quotes: "Milking a dried udder gets you nothing but kicked off the milking stool." "Mother, spare me your farmyard memories. You have none and I don't understand them." and "What are you getting at? I'm proportionate!" Raj knows that both the first and last quotes here were said by Little John in the newest version of Robin Hood. (Sort of puts that "I'm proportionate!" thing into context, right? It was in response to Friar Tuck asking him why he's called Little John.) Gents, note that drunkenly shouting I'M GONNA MAKE YOU SMILE at a girl in a bar, per this movie, will actually make that girl smile.
5. "Well, whatever it costs, it won't be as much as that exquisitely uncomfortable mohair episode...which is now all over my suit." Well done, Julie! First to ring in with a correct answer, identifying Joe Fox (F-O-X) in You've Got Mail.
6. "Did I ever tell you about the time I shoplifted a frozen turkey out of a Piggly Wiggly wearing only a tube top and Daisy Dukes?" I thought I'd have to at least put in more quotes for this one if not give the answer away because maybe I was the only person who loves the movie Saved! Not so, as Alisa demonstrated by identifying Saved! as the source of this quote. And Kim knew it too, somewhere in the back of her mind, but was a good rule-follower (my kind of girl!) and didn't answer after Googling.
7. "That guy you're talking about, he can't sing at all." "Then why's he got such a big band?" "To drown him out." Bonus Quotes: "I once dated a girl with a club foot. She had the big shoe and everything." and "Look at that, we're both wearing green. Matchy, matchy green squared!" Lisa got this one before I had to resort to putting in my favorite quote from Return to Me, "I'm getting a new heart, not a new ass." If you haven't seen it, you can't fully appreciate the greatness of the line since there's no way to put a big old Chicago accent on it in print. So do yourself a favor and watch the movie.
8. "You're so drunk you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double." "I have two guns, one for each of you." If you thought you recognized this, but couldn't come up with Tombstone, Michael is your huckleberry. He's no daisy. He's no daisy at all.
9. "I'm gonna get out of the car and drop you like third period French." Yay, Denise! She knows this comes from Ocean's Eleven, or as I think of it The One With George Clooney AND Matt Damon AND Brad Pitt.
10. "Run along to Ito and tell him to bring me a light breakfast. Black coffee and a side car." Sharon cements her status as one of my all-time favorite people by getting Auntie Mame right out of the gate! "Hurry my tray, darling. Your auntie needs fuel."